Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Now blooming: Den. antennatum (finally!)

Quite possibly my proudest orchid growing moment:  I've taken these dendrobiums from flask to bloom!




I ordered a flask of Den. antennatum in November 2010.  I had absolutely no clue how to deflask anything, so it was definitely trial and error.  I got them out of the flask, rinsed, and potted, then found an empty 2 gal aquarium (I kept bettas at the time, and had empty tanks lying around).  I figured the babies would need some air circulation, so I propped the glass lid of the tank off to the side a bit.  When I got up the next morning, most of the leaves of the babies had dried out tips, meaning they were lacking for humidity.  I panicked of course.  But once I got the humidity level up a bit, they recovered and continued to grow.  I didn't think they were going to make it past that first day.

I deflasked 30 plants that day, and only lost a single one over the course of their growing.  I gave away or sold 23 of them.  I still have five, and my mom has one.  Sometime last year, one of the people I sold some of them to posted a picture of one of their plants in spike, but I never saw pics of the flowers, if it ever made it to bloom.  So as far as I know, this is the first to bloom (with proof) out of that flask.

I originally got the flask because I absolutely adore this species.  I have an affinity for the strange flowers, so this one fits the bill.  I mean, it's got ANTENNAE.  It even has a very slight fragrance.  Way too cute for words.

No comments:

Post a Comment