Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Big in-spike/bud update!

So I guess this is what happens when I get too busy to update frequently:  I have to put lots of stuff into one giant post.  Sorry.

First up, my NoID pink dendrobium I got off a non-blooming clearance rack a couple years ago for something like 5 bucks.  It blooms lots, which is why I keep it around, even though it's pink and I'm not really a big fan of pink.

Next, my summer-blooming harlequin phallie, Yu Pin Pearl.  It's looking a bit thirsty lately...I think it's due for a bigger pot since it drinks the water out of its reservoir in less than a day now, and I can't seem to get it watered any more frequently than I have been.  Larger pot = larger reservoir, which should hopefully make it happier.  It's on the repot list.


And finally, double spikes on my Phal. Mayamar.  This is very unusual for me...in my five years of growing phals, I have yet to have one grow more than one spike at a time.  But even better yet, there's still an old green spike on this one too, and it's gone active again.  Whether or not that activity turns into blooms or keikis, time will tell.  This one grew three keikis last summer right after I got it, so it's apparently prone to keikis.  But the blooms on this one are just to die for (dark waxy red, one of my favorites), so I'm stoked about the possibility of three spikes worth of flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment