Friday, January 18, 2013

Ever wonder what crown rot looks like?

Well, it looks kinda like this:


*sigh* this is what's left of my little Angcm. didieri.  I just replanted it about 2 weeks ago.  Looking back at it now, I realize I planted it way too deep, which probably contributed to its demise.  To give some perspective on how fast this stuff can happen:  I watered it Wed (Jan 16) and it was perfectly fine.  Today, I was quickly looking over the plant shelves, and saw what I thought might be a sun shadow on the top leaf of this plant.  Nope, not a shadow, it was this:


gah!  So I picked it up off the shelf, and this happened:


I dumped a whole bunch of hydrogen peroxide down into what's left of the crown and crossed my fingers.  It's most probably a goner.  I'm not sure if angraecoids are known to grow basal growths if the crown of the original growth is damaged, but I guess I'll find out.  *sigh*

Moral of the story:  just when you think things are going well (I had a new species phal open its first flower today too), something bad happens.


UPDATE 1/23:  It didn't make it.  By the next day, it had lost all of its leaves and there wasn't a speck of green left anywhere on the plant.  No sense in trying to save it at that point, so it got pitched.  Very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment