Saturday, July 6, 2013

Now blooming: Phal. equestris (rosea x aurea)


I hate this flower.

Don't get me wrong, I like pelorics and everything. But it ruined an awesome flower in my opinion. I mean, the lip(s) are RED. I don't think I've seen a red-lipped equestris before. Hopefully that comes across in the picture...if it doesn't, trust me, it's an interesting shade of red/maroon. But it also seems to have some flower growth/retaining issues...it has blasted all buds except this one so far, and each node of the spike grows a large leaf-like protrusion, giving the spike a very strange appearance. This is a first-bloom seedling, and it's flowering very small, so I'm hoping all the struggles from it right now are just because it's a first bloom and will be better next time.

There's also no pollinia. I suppose that means its sterile? It looks like a genetic mess to me so I doubt I'd ever try to breed with it, but it would be nice if the possibility was there. *shrug*

No comments:

Post a Comment